via the ARRL: Sweden’s Telecommunications Regulatory Agency to Require Fee to Run More than 200 W

Effective on November 1, radio amateurs in Sweden who want to run more than 200 W PEP in certain Amateur Radio allocations will have to apply for a transmitter license to do so and pay a yearly fee. Sweden’s telecoms agency PTS has announced a modified listing of license-free transmitters that spells out the changes for Amateur Radio and other services. Sweden eliminated Amateur Radio licenses in 2004, and Amateur Radio in Sweden is “permission free,” but prospective radio amateurs still must pass an examination. A certificate and a call sign, valid for life, are issued without any future fees. Up until now, the maximum permitted power on most HF bands has been 1 kW with no additional authorization required.

“It will be interesting to see how many active [Swedish] operators will apply for high-power permits,” said Henryk Kotowski, SM0JHF, who alerted ARRL to the release of the official PTS order. “I will not. There is a general trend to use less power and smarter, efficient modes.”

Under the amended regulations, radio amateurs would have to apply for permission to run more than 200 W on 160 (1,810 – 1,850 kHz only), 80, 40, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10, and 2 meters, as well as 70 centimeters, and the 1.2, 5.6, 10, 24, 47 GHz, and higher Amateur Radio allocations.

via American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources