Louis Varney G5RV, founder member in 1936 of the Chelmsford Amateur Radio Society (CARS), received a little-known honour in 1945
During World War II Louis was stationed at a radio monitoring station in the hamlet of Steart near Bridgwater in Somerset. The local newspaper records he received an honour from the residents of the hamlet:
The Western Daily Press, December 10, 1945, reports:
One of the loneliest places in England, the hamlet of Steart, near Bridgwater, put itself on the map this week when, as part of the proceedings at a British Legion dinner in the neighbouring village of Combwich. “The Freedom of Steart” was conferred on Capt. R. L. Varney [G5RV] (Royal Signals), who during the war has been in charge of a wireless station there.
Read more: http://bit.ly/2uOADbT